Paid Course Release Fall 2020 Q&A
What is Covid Paid Leave Equivalent to a Course Paid Leave in Fall 2020?

The CFA-SFSU has been working since June 2020 with the Human Resources office in SFSU to arrange the use of a paid leave that will enable course release units for qualifying faculty for Fall 2020. This leave is intended to provide some relief for parents and caregivers facing COVID-related school and/or childcare disruptions this fall. HR and CFA have agreed to draw on a federal paid leave program – - the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA).

This federally funded paid leave is different from the voluntary furlough (with pay reduction) outlined in an earlier MOU between CFA and CSU.

The FFCRA paid leave is per the CSU technical letter a leave at full pay and is independent of time base, so it also applies to part-time employees. 

The use of either CPAL or FFCRA paid leave will not affect your normal, accumulated paid sick leave.

Who Qualifies?

In order to qualify for paid partial leave in Fall 2020 you need to fulfill the following criteria:

  • Be a parent or caregiver and your dependent’s childcare or schooling for fall 2020 is or will be disrupted due to COVID-19. Childcare or school disruption can include cancellation, shifts to online care/instruction, or changes in school scheduling (staggered or intermittent school attendance, etc).

Your paid partial leave in terms of WTUs will be proportionate to your appointment.

How and When Do I Apply?

  • First, decide how much leave you need to meet your new, COVID-related responsibilities
  • Consult with your Chair regarding curricular needs and replacement availability.
  • Confirm that your childcare/school will be disrupted for Fall 2020.
  • As per Department of Labor guidance, the only documentation required to request paid partial leave is: the name of your child; the name of the school, place of care, or child care provider that has closed or become unavailable.
  • Complete the “REQUEST FOR TEMPORARY PAID ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE (CPAL) Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19)” form.  
  • Submit the completed form to your Department Chair.
  • There is no formal deadline to make your request  – - but we encourage you to request leave as soon as the need becomes apparent. 

Where Does the Money Come From?

The federal government covers the cost of the FFCRA leave. Every dollar of required paid federal leave (plus the cost of the employer’s health insurance premiums during leave) will be 100% covered by a dollar-for-dollar refundable tax credit available to the employer. Consequently, there is no real financial burden on the campus, college or department attached to this paid leave.

How Do I Make Sure My Course Is Replaced?

We have not won yet the automatic replacement of COVID-19 related paid course release. However, the CFA is advocating that resources freed up through the use of these leaves be devoted to the hiring of qualified lecturer faculty to meet their entitlements and according to the CBA Art.12.29 preferential order of hiring.

Do You Have Questions About This or Are You Having Trouble Getting Your Course Release Approved

Please contact us immediately. You can contact James Martel (