Fire Resources for Members

Hundreds of wildfires are ravaging throughout California, and we again find ourselves as a union with our minds and hearts focused on our fellow CSU colleagues and CFA siblings across the state affected by these fires, smoke, and air quality issues.

CFA members who are affected by the fires are eligible to apply for disaster relief funding through the SEIU Disaster Relief Fund. The fund is maintained by affiliated local unions from across the country, including CFA, to help union members experiencing hardship resulting from a natural disaster. You must apply for any funds. Eligibility requirements can be viewed on the SEIU Disaster Relief Fund website. You can access the application here.

There are also disaster relief funds available directly through CFA, and displaced members should contact CFA directly for further information at membership@calfac.org.   

As a reminder, faculty may use their leave when the fires prevent them from going to work, even if the campus is open. Last year, CFA negotiated a new agreement that expands catastrophic leave provisions and enables faculty to donate their unused leave to others who may need it. Faculty wishing to donate leave should contact their CFA chapter office or campus Academic Affairs. Further information about the agreement is available on our website.

An additional resource that we suggest checking regularly, especially those living and working in high fire risk areas, is the Cal Fire wildfire page.