In the context of the COVID-19 crisis, three types of paid leave are available to CFA- represented employees affected by the coronavirus. These rights have been won by our union thanks to our collective organizing.

Here are the three kinds of paid sick leave you can apply for: (1) Temporary Paid Administrative Leave (CSU), (2) FFCRA (Families First Coronavirus Response Act, federal) & (3) regular Sick Leave.

All leaves are cumulative and you can take them in the order you want. If you are affected by the COVID-19 virus, we recommend that you first use the Temporary Paid Administrative Leave, then the FFCRA, then your sick leave. This way you can keep your regular accrued sick leave. Accrued sick leave can be used towards your retirement service credit in CalPERS when you retire (if you are in the pension system).

Paid leaves are calculated in hours. The regular working week is defined as 40 hours (8 hours x 5 days); you can divide your total number of hours by 8 to get the number of days or by 40 to get the number of weeks.

Here are more details on the three types of paid leave:

1. Temporary Paid Administrative Leave Related to COVID-19

How Much Paid Leave Do I Have?

  • On March 23rd, the CSU administration pressured by the CFA and other unions granted 128 hours of Temporary Paid Administrative Leave to qualifying full- time employees affected by COVID-19. On April 1st, they expanded the leave to 256 hours, that is 32 days – – thanks again to CFA’s advocacy.
  • If you work part-time “the number of hours of paid administrative leave… shall be prorated according to the percent of the appointment.”
  • This leave is effective March 23 through December 31, 2020.

Who Qualifies?

According to the policy, an employee qualifies for Temporary Paid Administrative Leave:

  • “When an employee is unable to work due to the employee’s own COVID-19-related illness or the COVID-19-related illness of a family member whom the employee would normally be allowed to use sick leave for;
  •  When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed by their healthcare provider or supervisor not to come to the worksite for COVID-19- related reasons, and/or it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely;
  •  When an employee is unable to work due to a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure, and the employee is required to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.”

How Do I Apply for Temporary Paid Administrative Leave?

You need to apply for it by filling out a questionnaire is accessed via CSULB Single Sign On by clicking on the COVID-19 Pre-Screen chiclet.

Answering “Yes” to any of the questions does not automatically bar you from coming to campus (however, you may not come to campus until you have been cleared to do so).

You must provide your full contact information as asked for in the form and select the appropriate ASM. If you do not know who your ASM is, a list of ASMs can be found online. 

Depending on your answers to the questionnaire, you may be contacted by Faculty Affairs to discuss relevant leave options.. More information can be found by expanding the Faculty section at


CSU now has guidance and information on Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Paid Leave. This is the federal guidelines on paid leave for COVID-19. It’s in addition to CSU’s own paid administrative leave. You can read the federal policy here

3. Paid Sick Leave


How Much Sick Leave Do I Have?

  • All CFA employees accrue sick leave over time. This is a collectively bargained right. Full-time employees accrue 8 hours of leave “per academic qualifying paid period” i.e. per month. Part-time employees “shall accrue credit for sick leave with pay on a pro-rata basis.”
  • Our contract says: “Sick leave may be accumulated without limit.”
  • To check how many hours you have accrued: go to Employee Center Chiclet on My CSULB, in the Employee Information box, select “Leave Balance” and you will find your available paid sick leave hours.

How Do I Know if I Qualify?

  • Under Article 24.10 of the C.B.A., sick leave may be authorized in the case of “illness or injury in the immediate family,” “exposure to contagious disease” and “death of a person in the immediate family” among other things.
  • Immediate family for purposes of Sick Leave is defined by the C.B.A. as an “employee’s spouse or domestic partner, parent, grandparent, grandchild, son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, stepchild or stepparent of the employee, spouse or domestic partner, and close relative or persons residing in the immediate household of the employee (except domestic employees or roomers). Also included in this definition shall be any minor children or incapacitated individuals for whom the employee has primary responsibility or legal guardianship or conservatorship.
  • For leaves exceeding 3 days, a doctor’s notice may be requested.

For More Information?

Contact the ASM(Administrative Service Manager ) in your department. If you do not know who your ASM is, a list of ASMs can be found online

·      Click on

·      Or email Faculty Affairs at

·      You can also reach out to us at