Sign Up to be a CFA Member Today!
Membership in your union – the California Faculty Association – helps ensure continued advocacy on behalf of faculty at the California State University. Join thousands of instructional faculty, librarians, counselors, and coaches to protect academic freedom, faculty rights, safe workplaces, higher education, student learning, and fight for racial and social justice.
Support Your CSU Faculty Colleagues. Join Your Union, Become a CFA Member Today!
California State University faculty have built our union into an advocate for fairness in our daily teaching, librarian, counseling, and coaching work.
CSU faculty organized CFA in 1983 to give faculty the power to bargain a fair contract, protect our rights, and ensure our role in shared governance. Since then, through CFA, CSU faculty have made historic gains:
- better salaries
- defined-benefit pensions
- quality health insurance
- better working conditions
- increased state funding to provide quality education for our students
Other benefits of being a CFA member:
- Strength comes in numbers. Every CFA member means a stronger faculty voice for our concerns and allows us to negotiate the best possible contract.
- Unity helps us move forward as we protect our gains, especially in salaries, access to health insurance and pensions, our rights as faculty, and our job security.
- Relationship building. Membership and participation in CFA allows faculty to shape the union and build relationships across the CSU, public education, and California.
- Participation is at the core. We shape our union through involvement in our campus CFA chapters. We vote in elections for chapter leaders and delegates to assemblies where policy is set. We vote on ratification of contracts.
- Anti-racism and social justice are central to CFA’s work and values. CFA promotes racial and social justice in our union and in our university, thereby challenging systems of racial oppression and social inequity.
- Shared governance and better academic policies mean CFA members work alongside the CSU Academic Senates, and we advocate for legislation and funding essential to our CSU.
- Through our members’ work over the last several years, we negotiated statewide and campus MOUs concerning COVID-19 to safeguard faculty health, safety, and rights; bargained expansion of protections in our contract for lecturers, coaches, and counselors; advocated for improved state funding for the CSU which preserved courses, class size, and faculty jobs; successfully lobbied the state employee pension fund (CalPERS) to remove investments from the two main companies running child migrant detention centers.
CFA members enjoy a variety of member-only advantages, available through our affiliates. These include discounts, programs, and special offers that add up to substantial savings. To learn more about these and other offers, explore the links below. To take advantage of these offers, be sure to identify yourself as a CFA or affiliate member when you contact the provider.
Connect with CFA
Ways to Join CFA
Current dues for Active CFA members are 1.35% of gross CSU salary.* You have a choice of ways to sign up for CFA membership.
*Minimum monthly dues are $10. The voluntary CFA PAC and/or CFA Political Issues Committee contributions are $5/$10 per month, depending on income.